Just this week, I accidentally found out that users were able to access Site Settings page, with some sections open out publicly accessible, for example the Regional Settings column! This raise a security threat as we don’t want users to be able to touch these settings. After much digging, I realised it’s because one custom permission that was created for the users have “Browser Directories” permission checked. Once this is unchecked, then they are denied from accessing the setting page.
Infopath has the ability connect to an external data source for data. The problem is there’s not a lot of information available on the net in guiding you to do this. You will most likely bump into problem when publishing the form to run on browser, to your production server where there’s multi-tier architecture (i.e. having multiple servers).
A lot of times, organisations have custom attributes in their Active Directory user profile. However, by default the user profile sync happening between Sharepoint and AD does not include these custom properties, such as EmployeeID. Hence, we can’t retrieve these properties in Infopath.
Sharepoint is a product developed only for Internet Explorer, and all non-IE users would probably hate Sharepoint, as there are lots of incompatible functions missing out. Recently I found out that non-IE browsers such as Firefox and Chrome are not able to edit Office files directly when clicking on the file link. The data connectivity would not exist because the browser would simply download the file into local folder.
Sharepoint allows users to setup email alerts on any change or adding to a list or libraries. However, the management of the email alert template can be pretty limiting as many users like to know if it’s possible to customize the email alert templates that get sent out by Sharepoint.
Typically, users that are already added to a site collection are displayed in the People Picker. This prevents anyone from using the People Picker to browse a different user directory. However, in a hosting scenario, you do not want end users to be able to search users from Active Directory; you only want the end users be able to search users that are already in the site collection.
Recently we had client experiencing an ugly error when adding a list item, which the error appears to be System.InvalidOperationException: There is an error in XML document (1, 43). Done lots of checks, but just couldn’t figure out why this happened until we found out it’s due to Internet Explorer 9!